Merit-Based Scholarships Available at Acceptance to OLP
Merit-based scholarships will be awarded to approximately 10% of the incoming freshmen class. Recipients of the scholarships below will be evaluated on demonstrated academic achievement (academic grades and entrance exam scores), leadership traits, alumna legacy status and positive citizenship within their 7th and 8th grade years. Students may receive merit-based scholarships in conjunction with financial aid; one award does not affect the other.
Fontbonne Scholar Award
To become a Fontbonne Scholar, eligible students need to achieve a national percentile composite score of 90% or above on the High School Placement Test with commensurate 7th and 8th grade achievement. Awarded funds are applied over a four-year period as long as the student maintains a minimum 3.5 GPA or higher, exhibits strong citizenship and remains enrolled at OLP for a consecutive four years. Approximately five Fontbonne Scholarships will be awarded to the incoming freshmen class in the amount of $8,000 per year (for a total of $32,000 over four years) while enrolled at OLP.
Pilot Scholarships are awarded to selected applicants based on demonstrated leadership experience and potential and well-rounded co-curricular involvement. Scholarships are renewable based on good academic standing, so long as students are demonstrating a continued commitment towards pursuing leadership opportunities and co-curricular activities, and remains enrolled at OLP for a consecutive four years. Approximately ten Pilot Scholarships will be awarded to the incoming freshmen class in the amount of $4,000 per year (for a total of $16,000 over four years) while enrolled at OLP.
Daughters of OLP alumnae are eligible to apply for a scholarship upon entrance. Eligible students need to achieve a national percentile composite score of 70% or above on the High School Placement Test to commensurate with 7th and 8th grade achievement. Approximately two Alumnae Scholarships will be awarded to the incoming freshmen class in the amount of $2,500 per year (for a total of $10,000 over four years) while enrolled at OLP for a consecutive four years.
Monica Hohn Manzer
The scholarship will be awarded to a student who has demonstrated academic potential and need for financial assistance to make attendance at OLP possible. This student must be accepted to OLP and complete the financial aid process by the posted deadline. Students will be selected based on their academic achievement and documented need. One scholarship will be distributed upon entrance and will be applied for all four years based on good academic standing and consecutive enrollment.
Endowed Scholarships for Current Students
The Academy of Our Lady of Peace offers multiple endowed scholarships to current students. While each scholarship has its own unique criteria and award designation they all utilize the same application form. Students interested in applying for one or more of our endowed scholarships must complete the application and follow the directions precisely. Detailed descriptions of each scholarship are provided below. The deadline for each of the scholarships is Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:30 pm. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Sister Dolores Anchondo Leadership & Legacy Scholarship
- Ann Navarra '63 Scholarship
- OLP Faculty & Staff Scholarship
- Alumnae Scholarship Fund
- Larissa Eklund-Dethlefs '94 Memorial Scholarship
- Sister Joyce Hampel, CSJ Memorial Scholarship
- Lois Mary Reuter '40 Scholarship
- Terry Kalafyan Board Designated Scholarship
- Martha McRoskey Board Designated Scholarship
- Nina Sciuto-Morales '76 Board Designated Scholarship
Sister Dolores Anchondo Leadership & Legacy, Ann Navarra '63 Scholarship, Terry Kalafyan Board Designated Scholarship, Martha McRoskey Board Designated Scholarship, Nina Sciuto-Morales '76 Board Designated Scholarship and the Faculty & Staff Scholarship
Founded and rooted in the Gospel values of the Catholic church and the charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, the Academy of Our Lady of Peace empowers young women in an innovative learning environment that honors the individual while fostering community, and develops faith-filled leaders dedicated to the “love of God and the dear neighbor without distinction.”
CRITERIA FOR APPLYING:
- Current Enrollment at the Academy of Our Lady of Peace
- Student Resume: List Current Cumulative GPA
- Essay Responses (3)
- One letter of recommendation from a personal reference. Letters should be limited to one page in length and should be written by an adult figure who has supervised the student in some capacity (i.e. coach, youth minister, teacher, mentor, etc.) Letters should be submitted directly to Ms. Alatorre via email [email protected] by Tuesday, April 21st at 1:30pm.
PROMPTS: Please respond to EACH prompt and limit your response to 300-500 words. All essays must be typed, 12 point font, and double spaced.
- OLP strives to honor the individual while simultaneously fostering a strong sense of community and sisterhood. Please articulate what the OLP sisterhood means to you. How do you benefit from and contribute to the spirit of sisterhood at OLP?
- Describe one life lesson you have experienced. What challenges were associated with the lesson and how have you benefited from this lived experience?
- How has attending OLP impacted your view of the world? What do you care about?
- Students should complete the google form application including three thoughtful essay responses. Students are encouraged to write their essays in a separate document with plenty of time for editing. Please do not type your essay directly into the application form.
- The letter of recommendation must be emailed to Ms. Alatorre, Executive Assistant to the Assistant Head of School by Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:30 pm.
Sister Dolores Anchondo Leadership and Legacy Scholarship
In 2014, OLP established the Sister Dolores Anchondo Leadership and Legacy Scholarship to recognize those students who embody the OLP mission and CSJ charism. Specifically, this scholarship recognizes students who have demonstrated significant and consistent contributions in the areas of Leadership, Service, and Spirit. Current 9th, 10th and 11th graders are invited to apply for a scholarship applied to next year’s tuition.
Ann Navarra '63 Scholarship
The Ann Navarra Scholarship is sponsored by Ann Navarra ’63. Recipients of this award are returning, well-rounded juniors or seniors who contribute positively to the OLP community. They model the spirit of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet on a daily basis and by doing so, build the spirit of sisterhood and demonstrate Christ-like love in our world. The total scholarship amount awarded varies each year depending on the number of participants.
Faculty & Staff Scholarship
The Faculty & Staff Scholarship is offered to one current and continuing student who exemplifies the mission of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace in her day-to-day life. The amount offered is determined by the amount that is collected in the fund annually.
Board Designated Scholarships
Terry Kalafyan, Martha McRoskey, and Nina Sciuto-Morales '76 served on the OLP Board of Directors. They each have had daughter(s) attend and graduate from the Academy of Our Lady of Peace. These board designated scholarships were created to honor their memory and legacy.
Please note that the current scholarships will be disseminated with a one-time tuition deduction for the 2020 - 2021 academic school year. Award winners will be notified after May 1, 2020.
Academy of Our Lady of Peace Alumnae Scholarship Fund
Mission: The Alumnae Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to students who embody the charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, show academic potential and demonstrate financial need. The Academy of Our Lady of Peace Alumnae Council seeks to cultivate alumnae volunteers for the future by recognizing their commitment to the mission of OLP. The Alumnae Scholarship Fund is made possible through generous donations from OLP alumnae who are committed to the mission of OLP and invested in the success of future women leaders. The recipient of this scholarship award will, in her own way, be one who embodies the charism of The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
Criteria for Applying:
- Current OLP student entering 10-12 grade in 2020 - 2021 school year
- Student must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Student must complete the google form application consisting of two writing prompts
Scholarship Award: One student will be chosen for an award for the 2020-2021 academic year. This upcoming year the recipient will be awarded $1,500. Award winners will be notified after May 1, 2020.
Larissa Eklund-Dethlefs '94 Endowed Scholarship
Mission: The Larissa Eklund-Dethlefs '94 Memorial Scholarship fund has been created to honor a woman who embodied the spirit of OLP through her vitality, open-mindedness, spirituality, and inner beauty. It is important to the family and friends of Larissa to honor her and remember her for what she brought to our lives in a short 25 years of life. Through this scholarship, we pay tribute to our sunflower, Larissa, as well as OLP... a place where women are celebrated and friendships grow. The recipient of this scholarship award will in her own way be one who embodies the spirit of Larissa through her involvement at OLP, in her community, and through her devotion to her family & friends.
Criteria for applying:
- Student must be entering her senior year at OLP.
- Student must have attended at least two years at OLP prior to senior year.
- Student must have a minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA
- Student must complete the google form application consisting of two prompts requiring a written response.
Scholarship Award: The amount awarded each year will vary.
Sister Joyce Hampel, CSJ Memorial Scholarship
Mission: The Sister Joyce Hampel, CSJ Memorial Scholarship was created to honor a woman who demonstrates intellectual curiosity and loyalty to OLP and its Mission. The recipient of this scholarship award should be a student leader via ASB or other school-wide leadership opportunities. She will display a strong interest in the humanities and visual and performing arts.
Criteria for applying:
- Current OLP student entering 10-12 grade in 2020 - 2021 school year
- Student must have a minimum 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- Applicants must complete the google form application consisting of a prompt requiring a written response.
Scholarship Award: Scholarship award will vary.
Lois Mary Reuter ‘40 Scholarship, academic year 2020-2021
Mission: The Lois Mary Reuter ‘40 Scholarship has been established to provide a scholarship to a rising junior or senior who has a desire and intent to pursue higher education and/or career opportunities in STEAM-related areas.
The Award: Scholarship awards will vary for rising juniors or seniors.
Criteria for applying:
- Student must be entering her junior or senior year at OLP.
- Student must have a minimum 3.8 cumulative GPA.
- Student must have demonstrated co-curricular activities in STEAM-related fields including internships, research, job shadowing, volunteer work, etc.
- Student has demonstrated a need for financial assistance.
- Preference will be given to students of military families.
- Student must complete the google form application.
The Academy of Our Lady of Peace admits students of any color, race, ethnic origin or faith to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of color, race, ethnic origin or faith in the administration of its educational policies, scholarships, financial aid programs, athletic and other school-administered programs.