OLP Historical Preservation - Boundless: The Campaign for OLP

OLP is committed to preserving the historical beauty of the Villa Montemar campus, ensuring that the exterior design is maintained and, where possible, enhanced. The construction project for Navarra Hall (formerly Aquinas Hall) and the Shiley Center for Science and Innovation (formerly St. Joseph's Hall) specifically focused on interior modifications with exterior historical enhancements.

Over the last century, OLP has maximized the gift of these historic buildings and was at a juncture where necessary infrastructure such as electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and interior pedestrian flow was presenting challenges. Furthermore, the buildings were not designed to support accessibility for those struggling with mobility. With the construction, we have added an elevator providing full access to all classrooms in both buildings. Both buildings were in great need of basic updates to maintain their integrity and to allow our students, faculty, and staff to perform at their highest levels.

Interior renovations focused on bringing natural light into the classrooms and hallways by repairing old windows to be fully operable and minimize heat transference along with adding mechanical blinds for ease of access. Hallways have new seating for students and faculty in a combination of options allowing for social gatherings and group work sessions. Transitioning from the classrooms to the hallways, glass windows have been added to allow for visibility and light to penetrate all thoroughfares. Reconfiguring the current layout allows for additional classroom spaces, increased restrooms, and greater diversity in the locations of restrooms for ease of use. Classrooms have been modified to increase student work and think spaces on walls through the integration of additional writable wall surfaces.

Preserving the hallmarks of the 1920’s construction was paramount in our work with Domusstudio architects and Johnson and Jennings contractors. Simultaneously, we increased measures to secure the campus such as a secondary door to enter the heart of the campus and the elimination of unmonitored multiple points of entry.