Course Number: 127/128
Full Year; 10 Units
UC/CSU Approved: English “B” Requirement.
Satisfies one year of the English graduation requirement.
World Literature Honors is a year-long English course that offers students ample experiences in reading, writing, and critical thinking about literature from the earliest written story to the present day. Students will read, analyze, and write about nonfiction, fiction, poetry, and drama from a diversity of world cultures and time periods. The course also helps students to refine their study skills, higher order thinking, vocabulary, grammar, and research skills, while broadening their worldviews. Students will leave World Literature Honors as true students of literature, reading on the lines, between the lines, and beyond the lines. Learning objectives are rooted in the Common Core standards for the state of California.
- The Epic of Gilgamesh. ISBN: 978-0140441000
- Greek Tragedies 1 by David Grene and Richard Lattimore. ISBN: 978-0-226-03528-4
- The Inferno by Dante. ISBN: 978-0-451-53139-1
- Othello by William Shakespeare. ISBN: 978-0-7434-7755-0
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. ISBN: 978-1-59308-117-1
- Four Major Plays by Henrik Ibsen. ISBN: 978-0-451-53022-6
- The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka. ISBN: 978-1-59308-029-7
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. ISBN: 978-1-4516-7331-9
- Other texts will be provided in PDF format by the instructor
Note: Summer Reading Texts are by grade level and are posted in May.
Level of Difficulty:
Estimated Homework Per Class:
Completion of English I Honors with a “B” OR
English I with an “A” for both semesters.