Course Number: 208; Online 208w; G Block 208g
Semester; 5 Units
UC/CSU Approved: History/Social Science “A” requirement. Satisfies one semester of Social Studies graduation requirement.
United States Government is a required, one-semester course designed to acquaint senior-level students with the origins, concepts, organizations, and policies of the American government and political system. During this course, students analyze the formation and components of the United States Constitution, identify America’s major political parties and their core beliefs, understand the electoral process in the United States, analyze the organization and purpose of the three branches of government, explore America’s political culture, and examine the traits and beliefs of American voters. Students pay particular attention to their own government, with the primary goals of promoting an understanding of the political system, cultivating an appreciation of the system’s diversity and continuity, and encouraging involvement in all levels of government. To increase student comprehension and underscore the course’s relevance, students read and analyze primary and secondary source documents related to the topics under study.
- Magruder's American Government ISBN: 9780328987115
- Additional readings may include non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies, memoirs, historical fiction, newspapers and magazines, provided free of charge.
(1) enter your school’s zip code: 92116;
(2) select Academy of Our Lady of Peace;
(3) select Government from the drop-down menu at the right side of the page;
(4) select your preferred book format—ebook or hardcover*.
Level of Difficulty:
Estimated Homework Per Class:
Completion of U.S. History or AP U.S. History