Course Number: 129/130
Full Year; 10 Units
UC/CSU Approved: English “B” Requirement.
Satisfies one year of the English graduation requirement.
English I Honors is a year-long course centered on the inquiry-based processes of reading, writing, and critical thinking. The units integrate nonfiction, fiction, poetry, drama, and short story with the overall learning objectives. This course promotes sophistication and analytical interpretation in the study of literature and in the development of writing skills. English I Honors also reviews and enhances the development of study skills, higher-order thinking, research techniques and vocabulary. Learning objectives are rooted in the Common Core standards for the state of California.
- Warriors Don’t Cry by Melba Patillo Beals ISBN# 978-1416948827
- Little Women Louisa May Alcott ISBN# 978-1514640807
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers 8th Edition ISBN# 978-1603292627
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare ISBN# 978-0671722852
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros ISBN# 978-0679734772
Other texts used provided in PDF format by the instructor
Note: Summer Reading Texts are by grade level and are posted in May.
Level of Difficulty:
Estimated Homework Per Class:
Placement by Admissions Office. Students must score in the 90% percentile on the entrance exam AND score a 4 or 5 on the essay portion of the entrance exam.