Course Number: 215/216
Full Year; 10 Units
UC/CSU Approved: History/Social Science “A” requirement. Satisfies one year of Social Studies graduation requirement.
AP United States History is a college-level course that covers the history of the United States from colonial times to the present. Particular emphasis is placed on the development of American values and institutions, as well as broad themes spanning multiple periods. Students engage with interpretive questions of historical scholarship and learn analytical skills. They also develop the skills necessary to critically examine primary and secondary sources. In addition, students keep up with current events and discuss them with contemporary and historical perspectives. Students are expected to exhibit characteristics of intellectual curiosity and motivation. Because the class moves at a rapid pace, students should plan to work daily on coursework. Preparation for the nationally administered AP exam will be given. The course culminates with the national AP United States History examination. Students will earn a weighted grade for this class and, if successful on the national examination, could receive college credit at their preferred university.
- By the People: A History of the United States, 2nd Edition, AP Edition. Fraser, James W. Pearson, 2019. ISBN: 9780134672106.
- Additional resources may include non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies, memoirs, historical fiction, newspapers, magazines, AP Test Prep books, and online primary source materials free of charge.
(1) enter your school’s zip code: 92116;
(2) select Academy of Our Lady of Peace;
(3) select AP US History from the drop-down menu at the right side of the page;
(4) select your preferred book format—ebook or hardcover*.
Level of Difficulty:
Estimated Homework Per Class:
Completion of World History with an “A” or AP World History with a “B”.