OLP Safety and Security Protocols
Ensuring the health, safety and well being of our students is paramount to our educational mission. As parents, you entrust your students to our care every day, and we take this responsibility seriously. With the many complexities of the world today, we want you to know that we provide a safe and welcoming campus environment for all students.
As a school, it is important to reassure you that the safety of our students is of primary importance to us. At the start of each school year, we practice several emergency drills with our students, including a full-school evacuation and drills for an intruder on campus. As parents, it is important that you be aware of how we prepare for different crises and safety issues on campus:
- We have several disaster plans and drills that we practice annually, and are updated as classrooms and buildings change.
- Emergency professionals have reviewed our emergency plans and trained our staff. We will continue to receive training in conjunction with the San Diego Police Department, and annually receive briefings from the SDPD to update our procedures.
- In the case of pandemic illness at OLP and/or the need for school closure, we have plans for the continuity of operations and education for our students.
- Every classroom and major office is equipped with telephones, and an electronic PA system.
- Local authorities have been provided with a database of information specific to our facility at OLP so that they can respond quickly in an emergency.
- Campus Ministry and counseling offices are trained to assist students in crisis situations.
- Visitors to campus are required to check-in at the Main Office.
- Faculty and staff members are assigned a rotation of campus supervision during school hours and two campus supervisors rotate supervision of the campus before, during and after school hours.
- The staff has been educated on their professional and legal responsibilities regarding the students in their care.
- In your SchoolAdmin parent portal, you have completed an Emergency/Health form regarding the transportation of your student from our campus in the event of an emergency.
- Through our Emergency Notification System, we can deliver thousands of emergency alerts via e-mail, text, and voice to our entire parent community in minutes.
- At the beginning of the year, we send out a test message to parents.
- In the case of an emergency, our website will be updated with specific information regarding any emergency on campus. We ask that you check the website and wait for an email before you call or come to the campus in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency information will also be updated on our social media sites.